Rockets take over top spot: Following a title-winning weekend at the Lincoln-Way Central tournament, Burlington Central (29-5) leapfrogged St. Charles East (29-4) for the top spot in this week's volleyball rankings. Any way you slice it, coming out of there with five straight victories was a nice statement for the Rockets heading into the Class 3A state tournament.
St. Charles East (4A) did nothing to hurt itself, despite suffering two losses at the Autumnfest tourney. The Saints were defeated by Naperville Central -- for the third time this season -- and Joliet Catholic. Both respectable losses, to say the least.
Note: rankings are based on competition against like-sized schools.
1) Burlington Central: Rockets take over top spot in rankings on heels of big weekend.
2) St. Charles East: Tough call to drop Saints to No. 2.
3) Hampshire: Victory over Rockets tonight would be huge boost entering postseason.
4) St. Edward: Difficult non-conference schedule paid off in SCC play.
5) Huntley: Red Raiders were competitive in FVC all year long.
On the bench: Bartlett, St. Charles North.
1) Larkin: Could face Streamwood in a sectional semifinal match.
2) Streamwood: First goal for the Sabres is to win a regional title.
3) Genoa-Kingston: A win over Harvard tonight in regional final would be huge for program.
4) Jacobs: No. 2 seed was handed no favors with challenging regional opener against Huntley.
5) St. Charles North: North Stars could post threat to Larkin down the regional road.
On the bench: St. Charles East, Huntley, Dundee-Crown.