Guinness World Records revealed their top 50 games series as voted on by over 13,000 readers. Halo took the top spot followed by Call of Duty and The Legend of Zelda.
The rest of the top 50.
Guitar Hero (#4), Metal Gear (#5), Super Mario Bros. (#6), World of Warcraft (#7), Gears of War (#8), Super Smash Bros. (#9), Grand Theft Auto (#10), Pokémon (# 11), Resident Evil (#12). Fallout (#13), Half-Life (#14), Sonic the Hedgehog (#15), Counter-Strike (#16), Runescape (#17), FIFA (#18), Kingdom Hearts (#19), Final Fantasy (#20), Pac-Man (#21), Madden NFL (#22), The Sims (#23), Tomb Raider (#24), WWE Smackdown Vs. RAW (#25), Rock Band (#26), LIttleBigPlanet (#27), Saints Row (#28), The Elder Scrolls (#29), God of War (#30),GoldenEye 007 (#31), Bioshock (#32), KillZone (#33), Skate (#34), Left 4 Dead (#35), Need for Speed (#36), Chrono Trigger (#37), Gran Turismo (#38), StarCraft (#39), Ratchet & Clank (#40), Pong (#41), Tom Clancy's (# 42), Star Wars: Battlefront (#43), Battlefield (#44), Diablo (#45), Lego Batman (#46), Mario Kart (#47), Burnout (#48), Crash Bandicoot (#49) and Pro Evolution Soccer (#50).
"We decided to take a different approach with this list than we did in the previous edition," Guinness World Records Gaming Editor Gaz Deaves said. "Instead of asking developers, industry insiders and journalists to rank their favorite titles, we approached a different kind of expert: the players themselves! We are confident that this 'top 50' more accurately reflects the tastes of the average gamer and not just the critics."
Well, the folks at Guinness should go back to the old formula because the "players themselves" failed them miserably. This list has so many issues that I don't even know where to start. So I'll just try to keep it to my own - top 10 things wrong with this list.
1) Why is LEGO Batman on the list? I could buy the LEGO franchise as a whole being on a top 50 list, but not LEGO Batman on its own. If anything LEGO Star Wars should have been on the list.
2) Sonic the Hedgehog at #15. The original Sonic the Hedgehog for SEGA Genesis was a great game. The following titles have never lived up to the first. Even the ones that have been made on next-gen consoles. Maybe Sonic cracks the top 50, but it shouldn't be ranked as high as it is.
3) Tom Clancy's games at #42. The list just says Tom Clancy's. So I assume they are including all the Tom Clancy titles such as Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon? And if that's the case, those three titles alone should earn the Tom Clancy franchise a much higher spot on the list.
4) Guitar Hero over Mario. I love the Guitar Hero franchise, and it would be on my top 50 list. But it would not rank ahead of the Mario Bros. franchise - one of the greatest of all-time.
5) Where's Metroid? I don't really need to say more than that.
6) Saints Row at #28. Saints Row is fun to play, but it's not the 28th top video game series. I wouldn't have it close to the top 50.
7) Skate at #34 but no Tony Hawk. Skate has taken over as the top skateboarding video game. And Tony Hawk's Ride was panned by critics. But if we are looking at the franchise as a whole, Tony Hawk still would get the nod over Skate in my opinion.
8) Where's Mega Man? See #5
9) Pong #41? I understand paying respect to the old school, but it has to stop at some point. Pong should not be on a top 50 list.
10) No love for the fighters? No Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter? I guess the readers in this poll would rather play Pong.