As part of Barack Obama's preparation for the presidency, he created the Citizen's Briefing Book. It was a change for regular Joes like you and I to tell him what we wanted done in America.
But, this being a democracy, the site was open to voting. So more than 70,000 people took part, making suggestions, and voting up or down the ideas they liked or didn't like.
With voting closed now, Obama will see what ideas got the most votes to help guide his presidency.
It sounds a little scary, a little reality TV-ish. Could the citizens that kept Sanjay on "American Idol" for so long be trusted to guide the president.
Yes, we can.
Among the popular ideas:
- Commit to becoming the "Greenest" country in the world. (70470 points)
- Increase MPG requirements now! (46120 points)
- Let's make reduced-scale farming profitable! Less dependence on imported foods! (42070 points)
- More Stimulus Focus on Green Jobs (30470 points)
- Re-install the White House solar panels. (28910 points)
- A Manhattan Project-Style Push for Energy Independence (28210 points)
- Create long term local food initiatives. (25080 points)
- Help Homeowners become Energy Independent (21930 points)
- What is on our food labels and what is in our food? (13950 points)
- 4 Things To Jumpstart the Economy and Reduce Global Warming (9960 points)
Go to Citizen's Briefing Book to see the details of these and other suggestions and the comments other Americans posted to them. Or search for an issue near and dear to your heart (UFO disclosure, legalization of pot, whatever) to see what will end up on our president's desk.