Here's a story that ran in today's Herald-News:
PLAINFIELD -- After a plastic bottle containing chemicals exploded in the hands of a student at a Plainfield school Friday afternoon, Edward Hospital in Naperville was placed on a hazardous material alert.
The mother of the unidentified fifth-grader brought her daughter to the hospital from Creekside Elementary School at 13909 S. Budler Road in Plainfield Township.
The girl and at least some emergency room personnel had been sickened by the contents of the bottle, which the girl's mother had brought into the building with her.
Police and fire emergency radio reports indicated the bottle might have been a "MacGyver bomb," typically concocted with household chemicals and aluminum foil.
Tom Hernandez, director of community relations for Plainfield School District, said the Creekside student "found a plastic bottle" Friday outside the school "and proceeded to shake it." The contents "shot out of the bottle and sprayed" onto the girl, he said.
School officials called poison control and were advised to run cold water over the girl's face and arms, Hernandez said. They also telephoned the girl's mother, who then took her daughter to the hospital, he said.
"The initial report is the girl was uninjured, so that's good and we're glad for that," Hernandez said. He declined to comment further.
Hospital spokeswoman Mary Ellen Pavlik said no patients or employees were endangered or injured.
The girl was released from the hospital Friday afternoon after undergoing unspecified treatment, Pavlik said.