and his want to trade prospects for veterans...like Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson...don't.
Chances are very, very good that Hudson will turn out to be no better than an average major leaguer.
I went back to the offseason between the 2000 and 2001 seasons - Kenny's first - and looked at all the trades he made for so-called "top prospects." (stats are as of July 31)
Go through the list - tell me which one you wish you had back. Seriously.
December 14, 2000: Royce Clayton traded by the Texas Rangers to for Aaron Myette and Brian Schmack.
* In parts of 6 seasons, Myette has gone 6-12 with an 8.16 ERA in 154.1 innings. Has not pitched in majors since 2004.
* Schmack appeared in 11 games for the Tigers in 2003.
January 14, 2001: David Wells traded by the Toronto Blue Jays with for Mike Williams (minors), Kevin Beirne, Brian Simmons and Mike Sirotka.
* Beirne appeared in 17 games for BlueJays & Dodgers, last pitched in majors in 2002.
* Simmons appeared in 60 games for BlueJays, hitting .178. Last played in majors in 2001.
* Sirotka never pitched again.
December 13, 2001: Todd Ritichie traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates for Josh Fogg, Sean Lowe and Kip Wells.
* In 8 years, Fogg has gone 62-69 with Pittsburgh, Colorado and Cincinnati with a 5.03 ERA in 232 games. Last pitched in 2009.
* Lowe pitched two more years for Pittsburgh, Colorado and Royals an ERA of 5.79 in '02 and 6.25 in '03. Last pitched in 2003.
* Wells went 47-78 with an ERA over 4.00 in 8 years. Last pitched in 2009.
March 27, 2002: Damaso Marte traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates with to the Chicago White Sox for Matt Guerrier.
* Guerrier is currently in the Twins bullpen. In 7 seasons as a middle reliever, has a 15-23 record and 3.36 ERA in 366 games and 446.2 innings.
July 1, 2003 & July 18, 2004: Carl Everett traded by the Texas Rangers for Frank Francisco, Josh Rupe and Anthony Webster (minors) Traded by the Montreal Expos for Gary Majewski and Jon Rauch.
* Francisco is currently in Texas bullpen. In 6 seasons has 17-15 record with 3.78 ERA in 269 games & 276.1 innings. Had 25 saves in 2009.
* Rupe has pitched this year for Royals - in 5 seasons has appeared in 81 games with a 5.00 ERA as a reliever.
* Majewski has pitched this year for Houston - in 6 seasons has 9-13 record with 4.75 ERA with Montreal, Washington, Cincinnati & Houston in 231 games and 242.1 innings as a reliever
* Rauch is currently in Twins bullpen. In 7 seasons has 31-26 with an ERA under 3.80. Had 18 saves in 2008, opened 2010 as Twins closer and has 21 saves before trade deadline.
January 15, 2003: Bartolo Colon traded by the Montreal Expos for Rocky Biddle, Orlando Hernandez (never pitched for Sox in '03 - was a flip), Jeff Liefer
* In two seasons, Biddle went 9-16 with 5.83 ERA in 120 games in bullpen. Last pitched in 2004.
* Liefer played for Montreal, Milwaukee and Cleveland, hitting under .200 in 79 games. Last appeared in majors in 2005
June 27, 2004: Freddy Garcia traded by the Seattle Mariners for Mike Morse, Miguel Olivo and Jeremy Reed.
* Morse has appeared in 2010 for Washington. In 6 seasons and 182 games with 12 HR, 65 RBI, with .304 average. Was suspended for PEDs while with Seattle.
* Olivo is currently with Colorado. In 6.5 seasons since leaving Chicago, has played for Seattle, Florida, Kansas City and Colorado. Has played in 100+ games three times. A career .249 hitter.
* Reed appeared in 14 games for Toronto in 2010 - in 7 seasons and 476 games has hit 12 HR, drove in 110 and is a career .253 hitter.
December 20, 2005: Javier Vasquez traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks for Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino and Chris Young
* In 5 seasons Young finished 4th in 2007 ROY voting and was a 2010 All-Star. In 572 games has hit 88 HR (32 in '07), 268 RBI (85 in '08) with 538 K's. Has a career .241 avg., .312 OBP & .755 OPS.
March 20, 2006: Matt Thornton traded by the Seattle Mariners for Joe Borchard.
* Borchard played for Seattle and Florida in '06 & '07 appearing in 199 games. Last played in majors in 2007. A career .205 hitter.
December 23, 2006: John Danks traded by the Texas Rangers for David Paisano (minors) and Brandon McCarthy.
* Currently injured for Texas - in three seasons with Rangers has gone 13-15 with 4.68 ERA in 45 games (44 starts)
July 23, 2006: Sandy Alomar, Jr. traded by the Los Angeles Dodgers for B.J. LaMura (minors).
Here are the trades from the last 2+ seasons. It's a little hard at this point to truly evaluate each move, but as of right now it looks like no harm, no foul....
December 3, 2007: Carlos Quentin traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks for Chris Carter (minors).
January 3, 2008: Nick Swisher traded by the Oakland Athletics to for Fautino de los Santos (minors), Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney.
* Sweeney currently on A's - in 3 seasons in Oakland (331 games) has hit .291 with .347 OBP & .740 OPS. Has hit 12 HRs and drove in 134. Has 88 extra base hits.
* Gonzalez currently on A's - in 3 seasons has gone 16-17 in 51 games (45 starts) with 4.98 ERA. 8.5 K's/9, 1.543 WHIP in 258.2 innings.
July 7, 2009: Tony Pena traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks for Brandon Allen.
* Allen appeared in 32 games for Ariz., in 2009 - hit .202 with .669 OPS, 4 HR & 14 RBI.
July 31, 2009: Jake Peavy traded by the San Diego Padres for Dexter Carter (minors), Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard and Adam Russell.
* Richard is currently a starter for the Padres - in 2 seasons he has gone 13-7 with a 3.67 ERA in 196 innings with a 7.1 K/9 and 1.393 WHIP
* Russell has appeared in 6 games with Padres in 2010 - in 21 games over 2 seasons has 3-1 record, 3.68 ERA, 1.591 WHIP and 10.2 K/9 in 22 innings as a reliever.
* Poreda has not appeared in major leagues in 2010 - in four games in 2009 went 1-0 with 3.86 ERA.